Friday, July 08, 2005

Budding barista back in business!


cubika
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
Today was a rather expensive venture into Belfast city. I came home with a juicer, a toaster, a kettle, a drip coffee machine and last but not least a Gaggia Cubika (left). I wanted better but had to settle for this for a few months. It was a £129 purchase (300CDN). I also had to settle for a starbies blade grinder, whic proved wise as they threw in half a pound of free beans. Gaggia gave me some pods, which were horrible. I didn't think they could be soooo bad but they truely were. I proceeded to grind my own and try again. First shot: horrible channeling. Grind way to course 14seconds for 3 oz. Gave it to my friend that i have told will be converted to coffee loving. He also recieved a full cup rosetta. He loved it as it didn't taste bitter, but was nice and creamy (full fat milk). I told him it was crap espresso but it didn't matter to him. Mediocrity will be the death of me in this country! (As if parimilitarism wasn't enough, people want to self destruct!

I proceeded to try again. I ground for longer and low and behold got a very nice 2oz. in 24 seconds. This was topped with a heart.

Frothing on the Cubika is very nice. I made perfect milk both times, the art just flowed on top effortlessly. Can't wait to get a digital camera at some point to start uploading pics again!

For now I am going to set up my new PC. This should keepo me busy for a few hours! It will be well worht it though.

Hope you are well wherever you might be!
Scott

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Yay! You're back in business! Good luck with the Cubika, it should be mighty fine. My Mom got a digital camera, and I am going to take it to work someday to take pictures of my art... they will come soon. The shots are still pulling well... about 90% crema in 2 oz/25 sec. They taste alright.

Calgary is getting some new Belgian beers in at a local shop. I can't wait to pick some up: St. Bernardus Abt 12. It's rated 94 on beeradvocate.com and is ranked the 11th beer in the world on the same site. Should be incredible. Mind you, it better be for 15 bucks a 4 pack!

Cheers,
Peter

5:41 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home