Monday, May 30, 2005

The Last night


Cafe Bonanza
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
This was it. The last night of our Pearson College Coffee Shop. As I steam milk with the tempermental krups Peter is pulling shots. Meanwhile Sam was sitting in the corner sipping a macchi. We managed to raise over $40 on coffee sales alone for student aid. This is quite the feat given that our latte's are $1.75 and and espresso is $1.

I am at home now and my latest quest is as the store-manager of a Subway store in my home town. I had worked there last summer and apllied for the job a few months ago. I have been working in another store for the last two days as it is busier than mine it will get me into the swing of Sandwich artistry faster. It certainly has! This store is inside one of the busiest malls in Northern Ireland. My store will serve between 140-200 customers in a day which I hope to expand on. The stores also have super automatic espresso machines that brew an entire latte/cappa themselves. They do have a steam wand which I am hoping to take advantage of. If i can tweek with the grind on the machine in my store. Weird news is that we will be getting a smaller machine: the new starbucks super auto. My opinion will be shared soon.

It's nice to be home. Sure I miss the other muskateers but there is something about home that quenches my thirst. A sort of familiarity that is hard to come by anywhere else. A street I can walk down and know almost everyone that I walk past or that drives by. The excitement is also killing me for when I return to Canada whether it be for a holiday or to stay. Hopefully we can do a roadtrip to San Fran next year to see Jon. Peter, Alex and I. Lets see what the future has to hold.

Peter is now a barista!!! Can't wait to hear his stories. Mine will come in the form of home machines and super autos unfortunately and i'll try and see how far the espresso culture/scene had developed in Northern Ireland.

Brain Cramp...
Tomorrow I have a managers meeting at 9am which means I need to leave at 7am to get to the bosses office.

Scott

8 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

That's right. I am a pro barista at a coffee house in Calgary now. However, I lack serious skills on this Rancilio 3 group Z11/AT. Definitely need to work on the milk, though I poured a heart in a wet cappa today.

The horror stories are coming out of coffee in Calgary now. The managers at this new store rave about the distributors and their trainers for the coffee. Everything I've heard about this trainer pretty much contradicts every coffeegeek ideal of coffee.

Oh well. At least these managers have given me free reign with the espresso side of this cafe. I shall comment further later.

6:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i work in that shopping centre!!

2:35 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

okay, now that i know how to actually leave a message on here. Scott, I lost my directory, can you send me email's for you, peter, john. OH! and i have a picture to send you. It's my first latte that actually was a latte made on my KRUPS model number: SHITE. There's definitely a little bit of phallic art in there too!
Missin you man. talk to you soon

alex

6:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scotty (can you hear me saying that???)... I miss you... sent you an email, don't know whether you got it or not... glad you're happy to be home and already very into the subway sandwich making form of art !!!! I'm still on the Rocks diving and having some fun... Did I say i miss you? ok just send news sometimes so I know how you're doing... If you ever feel like looking at me go to the racerocks website and use camera 5... oh by the way ferdinand wrote a poem the other day and you were one of his inspirations.. maybe i'll snd it to you some time. miss you. love...

2:06 pm  
Blogger Scott said...

It's great to hear from you guys,

tell me you're a pro when you got the machine down Pete. Alex: send me the pic...

I've been making bucket loads of sandwich art in subway, and also latte art. Our super auto leaves a lot to be desired... milk is coming on well, got down to micro foam within 3 uses despite the only speeds being fast and holy shit...Zero crema in the 'espresso'. Had the guy from the company out to fix it and told him if the espresso didn't have a flavour profile before he left i would change suppliers. I felt empowered. It was nothin on what we were doing or what you are doing Pete but as far as coffee here goes i hjave converted two people to not using sugar and one just had the best cappa she's ever had from this that we would clasds as crap.

I have found a few spots for espresso but again they leave a lot to be desired. I have found a potential funder for a cafe for next year if we ever get plans drawn up it looks like a possibility. She'll have about £10,000 (25,000 CDN) by Jan and doesn't know if she'll have permission to build her house with it. If not she'll be looking to invest. She's a manager in another subway store.

Today was my first day off inm 8 straight days. Pearson feels like a blur. I haven't gotten over the huge chunk of me that seems to be missing, mainly in loss of water that day...Lol!

Miss all you guys, but this time being at home feels strangely right, although i probably won't be saying that soon. Being a manager is presenting a very stressful and challenging time. But it seems to be going well.

Speak to you all soon.
Scott

6:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scottie scottie scottie...what have they done to you?! you're a coffee junkie!!! ahhhh! and even more importantly where on earth are you??? drop me an email as i can't find yours, we need to catch up. miss you heaps, cait

8:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about chocolate lab statue
. You can check it out at chocolate lab statue


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

2:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like your blog, keep up the good work.

coffee makers

2:49 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home