Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Girl at the juice bar...true story!


Messy but full cup! (almost...)
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
As many of my close friends are aware, I love stuff. I am fairly wise yet whne it comes to being a consumer I am slightly addicted: no thanks to Peter, I believe we fostered each others habit for buying random crap for the sake of it...Now I am in debt, quite a lot actually on my credit card. Not too nice. I am in so much that I have taken to getting into debt with non-tangible items. Things such as promises. I know what you are thinking. "What the hell is he talking about?"

Well, when I arrived home I started work a day early in a different store to help out and get in some practice before taking on my own Subway store. I was extremely happy to find an espresso and Juice bar beside this other store. This is where Nicky (Juice bar girl) comes into the equation. She just commented on my last entry about how her latte art is coming along. It's a pity she's not a drinker and can't totally appreciate her craft. The people in her juice bar were taught by the N. Ireland Barista Champion, or something like that. His knowledge seems impotent given the fact that they were told they could hold the portafilter in their hand whilst tamping; how the hell do you get 30lbs pressure doing this I don't know.

Anyway, I mentioned latte art to nicky and she was dead keen on learning how to do it. And as I am sure you are all aware was only to keen to help. We were so busy in Subway the next day it totally slipped my mind so with speedy apologies and a gift of a java sleeve from mirage and one of Sam Jones' new cards I had to leave to go home. She checked out my blog and various other recommended reads such as the milk frothing guide and says she can do the 'squiggly thing,' I assume she means the Rosetta Leaf. (I apologise if this sounds like I am making fun of you, I assure I am not. Well...perhaps at the squiggly thing comment...)

I want a machine so bad it is not even funny. I got MR. Ebay to refund my purchase of the Gaggia Espresso as I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer. Need to start shopping again soon! It might just be one big shop of green beans, roaster, machine and grinder together sometime in August/September. I find myself looking everywhere I go for espresso gear. I love my french press though. It is getting me through my dark days at the moment.

Confident women freak me out, we from the emerald isle are reknowned for being naturally flirtatious. This mixed with confident in an attractive female barista shocked the pants off me, after living in close proximity with the same good friends for so long. Nicky scared me. I am in debt for a promise of a latte art lesson. Something harder to repay than a cash deposit for my credit card. I sincerely apologise and hope to make it down some day. Preferably a quiet day when your boss isn't in. I can do latte art in take away cups. Did a rosetta and a heart for me and my boss today. We were both satisfied with the improvement the milk makes given that the espresso comes from a super automatic.

Took me a while to get to the point on the title of this one.

I am having lots of fun in my new role. I got my company phone and a pay rise alreay.

Going to bed now as I start work in seven hours.
Scott

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Sounds like you're pretty busy there Scott! Today, I managed several macchiart examples... including a 9 leaf rosetta in a 3 oz cup! I also can pour art in take away cups, who said that you couldn't? Some guy named Schomer? Pshaw.

Cheers mate.

1:12 am  
Blogger Alex said...

Hey dudes. Scott, I'm glad things are going well for you. I think it's so funny, as I train my mom how make a shot of espresso on the Krups (she was previously tamping with her finger and letting the shot fill an 8oz cup, which was still in approximately 25 seconds.) She was wondering why she didn't like the taste. As I explain things (pretending I know my shit) I just hear your guys' words echoing through me. Scott, keep the posts coming if you can, even if they're just about trivial day to day things in your life. Love you man, all the best

alex

5:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you guys.

10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
Feel free to send me your credit cards for safe keeping again...
; )
LN

7:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've lost my ability to do latte art, it was nearly there and everything but it died last night - not surprising considering we do like one latte a week, we do about 3 capucinos a weeks though so i just make them a bit like that!!! i wrote a T for tonic on one the other day but i misjudged it a lil so it looked like a crucifix!!!!
i didn't understand half the stuff you were talking about there, i'm so incompetent!
ak weell i'll keep trying, toodles! xo

9:14 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home