Saturday, May 07, 2005

Friday 6th May 2005...Awesome!


Rosetta
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
Everytime I have gone on a quest for real (non-home made) espresso I usually end up at the Keating Cafe, by force of habit. As Jimmy left on Wednesday though we were not sure if the cafe would be open or not so planned not to go up.

I grabbed a quick double at a place brewing Torini Lamborghini on Fort St beside the HSBC bank, can't remeber the name but was impressed when I was asked whether I wanted my shot long or short and if I wanted it to go. I chose short and to stay naturally, but was puzzled when she looked at a standard 2oz. espresso cup and didn't think it would fit. She decided to pull into a 6oz. Lamborghini cup. I took the 3 oz. she gave me and I sat down. The espresso was terrible and it was clear she didn't really know what she was doing so we proceded to talk about cups and cup sizes. I really like the cappa cup she gave and want one but for cappas not doubles!!!

I met up woth Peter and Jon after the bank and we started the day at Buon Amici's on the other side of the bay. We walked for a long time and were happy to walk in to a nice relaxed atmosphere, with cool chairs and a barista that didn't ask us what a ristretto was when we asked. the results were disappointing though. The 3 shots varied from 1 3/4 oz. to 2 1/2oz, with varying levels of grounds deposited in the bottom of each cup. Overall the espresso had an intial bakers chocolate taste, with leguminous cabbagey mid-tones and a heavy charred but caramelly aftertaste. Not bad although I think the espresso may have been better for a latte.

After a decade of walking we reached 2% Jazz, and Sam was working! Before we had even placed our order he had started making a little something, called a Granita (not sure how to spell it!). It was divine! To sum it up, it was grated frozen espresso, whipped cream, some grated chocolate and grated frozen strawberry. Then we all had doubles all round. As usual they were amazing. A total explosion on the tongue, as Sam was explaining to me how he has 5 different beans to cover the five different taste buds in your mouth and boy they do! Jon then had a latte, which was poured by Andrew. I think it was one of the best latte's I have ever tasted! The crema was rich and dark, contrasted with a beautiful little six leaf rosetta. I had to have one! So I ordered one which Sam took over the making of. To my astonishment, out came the 12 oz. martini glass. "This cannot be my latte..." I thought. It was. I watched as Sam poured the espresso from the little stainless steel jug into the martini glass, then watched as the first rosetta was poured in the left hand side of the glass. He then proceeded to pour a second on the right hand side, and finished with a little heart between the two. If there was ever a moment I wished I had my camera, this was it! All I could think was DZAMN!!!

We also ate luch at 2%, and found out that Sam goes in every morning to make the food himself. It was amazing. I had some vienese flat bread topped with pate, fresh vegetables, shrimp, asparagus and cheese, not sure what kind of cheese. Jon had a vegetarian panini and Peter had an italian baguette sandwich.

We said our good-byes and headed up to Caffe Fantastico, the main branch where they roast the coffee. As we approach we see a silver Ford Focus with Saskatchewan plates. "Could that be Jimmy's car?" we asked each other. We walk in and low and behold there's Jimmy and Jordan. HEY! Turns out Jordan has been working there full time for two weeks now. Congrats on the new Job! We ordered doubles all round, which Jordan covered generously. unfortunately he wasn't on the bar! The espresso sadly wasn't up to the usual standard though, the shots tasted very sour like there was some channeling. We didn't hang around too long unfortunately as it was quite busy so we bought beans and left. It cool to see Jimmy and Jordan again. Jimmy is off home to Saskatchewan tomorrow, with a stop off on the way for a new grinder, looking forward to hearing the results of it.

Finished the day with buying a macchiato cup from Value village, and having a total of 1/2lb of 2% percent espresso blend, 100gms of Causeway Fantastico blend and 100gms each of mexican malinal and Sundried Malinal.

What an amazing day it was! We have just finished playing around with all the new beans. Jon's Colombian San Agustin from Fantastico has some amazing lime flavours. Pictures should follow soon.

Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home