Sunday, April 03, 2005

Jimmy and John...


Jimmy and John...
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
Where do you start when talking about pro-athlete's and pro-barista's, eh? Let's see, Jimmy is a pro-cyclist and barista. John is an olympic gold medalist and a barista/cafe owner. It definately seems that coffee and sports go hand in hand. Caffeine is a drug that enhances peformance, both alertness and endurance. But is this the reason these guys are so into coffee?

Short answer is NO! Coffee for the purist like Jimmy or even myself is more than just a pick-me-up. It is and has become a way of life, a hobby, a passion and a learning experience. I doubt I will ever know everything there is to know or even as much as Jimmy, John and Geir do but hey, does that mean I should give up? Again, NO! From short visits up to Keating I have learned the difference a Naked PF makes, how to properly sanitize a cup, different art pouring techniques, how important it is to belive what you taste and also how important it is to never give up when you want to acheive something. Is it the athlete in these guys that makes them compete to be better or the passion for coffee and everything it entails that makes them want to improve? Clearly it is their love for coffee.

In a single cup you can taste anything from chocolate and toffee to tobacco and carbon to jasmine and cabbage. Change the roast, grind setting, water temperature and tamp pressure on the same bean and you can experience something totally different! It is just amazing. Very rarely do I have trouble speaking but my brain is fried due to information overload. It is a passion that I am very glad I have found and am very greatful to these people for helping me continue to develop it.

On Jimmy's advice I headed up to Caffe Fantastico today and bought 1kg of unroasted Panamanian and 595gm of Timor. I roasted the Timor to a medium tonight, the girl in the caffe said she remembers it being buttery. Yum, can't wait to try it!

Sounds like a cupping session is neccessary in the near future, what do you think Pete, Joe, Jon?

Cheers for now.
Scott

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Well, you know me. A cupping session is always a good thing. Unless of course someone sneaks in a bit of grade 4 vietnamese robusta. Ach!

7:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:48 am  
Blogger Scott said...

Good stuff Petey!

Hey Jordan, you too. Coffee is definately a conributor to a Good Life. Nice to meet you the other day as well, i'll shout you the next time i'm goin downtown for a coffee!

4:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

I'll be there! We'll talk about espresso and cycling! Can't wait to try the Panamanian.

Jon

4:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you've got to be kidding me! Both you and me got into espresso around the same time (Sept 2004) and started a blog around the same time (Feb/March 2005) and named it about the same: espressojourney and myespressojourney. Unbelievable!

2:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home