Sunday, August 21, 2005

On the topic of hot chocolate


Rosetta in Hot Chocolate
Originally uploaded by i_got_art.
I made this hot chocolate for my little sister the other day. She's only five and keeps asking for a shooting star...(suggestions???) I was thrilled with this one though. I am becoming border line consistent with pouring a heart on top of my rosettas! It was made with a Cadburys powder mix hot chocolate which explains the "specking" (read: lumps of powder!) on top. This was in the 8 oz. Starbucks cappa cup I got at CanWest Mall in Victoria. Silly girl there tried to charge me $17.90 for the cup and saucer when it said quite clearly Cup and saucer set for $8.95. She thought it was $8.95 for the cup and then a further $8.95 for the saucer! Anyway it has proven to be an amazing shape for latte art. This hot chocolate mix has also proven great as it is a drinking chocolate rather than a hot chocolate...if that makes any difference? Basically instead of granules it is a very fine powder and actually creates more of a 'crema' on top as you can see in the picture. This is probably the best definition i've had with this method of making hot chocolate.

It got me thinking...if this powder is producing a crema like top making it more like espresso than a granule formula...how will it hold up in different sizes. Is it possible to make a Hot Chocolate 'Macchiato?' The results will be posted next.

Nicky: Surely for me to be deemed unfair with my words I would have had to have been attacking your capabilities. I have re-read the last post and think it is quite clear that the person I am blaming/am slightly irrate with is the supposed best barista in the UK. Surely he should be aware of the importance of changing your grind setting during the day with the changing climate in store, to ensure that you are extracting the optimum level of flavour and arome from each shot of espresso you make. It could be 2 shots a day or 200 a day, but surely it is only fair that each and every customer gets as much as those beans have to offer, which take my word for it, is a whole lot more. The answer to the stolen bean question is yes and the results were phenomenol. The initial shot of espresso i got absolutely blew me away. It poured like honey and had a thick creamy mouthfeel. The actual flavours that shone through were of anise, praline/caramel and nutmeg with a tangy citrus lime after thought (like those Colombian San Augustin Single Origin Peter + Jon). I couldn't believe it! The beans are incredible. I would love to know where they came from.

If you have any pictures of your own latte art nicky and would like them posted here, you can email them to me. My address is scott.uwc@gmail.com I would love to see it. I hope you still don't think i'm being unfair...my thoughts are criticising the fact that whe I was in canada i went out with friends for the day and we hit some cool cafes and the espresso was of a quality we will probably always strive to achieve but here i can make better at home so why would I want to go to a cafe? Why should I spend my money on something that has been left as a guessing game in someones hands rather than taught as an art and craft that it should be and that it is. Lets face it 1.20 is a lot of money for 2oz of crap isn't it? But for 2oz. of pleasure that is prepared out of enjoyment, enthusiasm and strving for the best it really isn't. I hope my points are clear on this.

Next post with hot chocolate macchiato coming right up!

Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home