Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Beginning

After starting to make "espresso" based drinks from a stove-top machine and a french press for foaming milk, my taste in espresso has expanded immensely. From my first real "kick in the nuts" double at 2% Jazz in Victoria, BC, Canada to my adventures of up to 6 doubles at Geir Oglend's new place on the Keating Crossroads, I can more or less say I'm hooked! (I think addicted is too strong a word sometimes!)

I have banished sugar and syrups from most of my drinks unless my sweet-tooth cries out for some attention and have adopted the label of "Purist" thanks to Jimmy Oneschuk of espressolab.ca. Sam Jones, Geir Oglend and Jimmy Oneschuk are all great role-models and inspirations for my pursuit of this passion. Jimmy for his willingness to share his passion, especially with our age group and his desire go the extra mile to help me expand my knowledge with respect to espresso, latte art and also home roasting. (which I am yet to start. Thanks for the green beans Jimmy, can't wait to start!) Geir is and should be a role-model to all of us that want our own cafe. With his passion for coffee, vast knowledge on the subject and business skills that show years of experience in this field I have learned a lot from Geir after the few long conversations we have had. Sam Jones shows utter determination in the pursuit of having an espresso bar. He is constantly making changes to 2% Jazz which shows a continual learning that even the best out there go through. There's always something different everytime I go through the door.

My great friend and roommate (in my second year at Pearson College, www.pearsoncollege.ca) Peter Van De Reep has been the key to this world of coffee for which I am deeply greatful. Peter's passion for coffee and desire for furthering his knowledge and learn new techniques has driven both of us to push each others boundaries and up the mark with the quality of our coffee on his Krup Nova 2300. (Our ability to produce latte art from this machine has impressed and puzzled both Jimmy and Sam as no-one else seems to do it!)

Some wesites i recommend are:
www.espressolab.ca
www.coffeegeek.com
www.espressovivace.com
www.latteart.org

The full list is much longer but these are some of my favourites!

That's enough for now, I will continue to update with some past stories, new knowledge that rocks my world, the uncovering of new abilities, the equipment I get and quests for good espresso based beverages around the world (mainly canada and Northern Ireland though, as I am studying in Canada and am from Northern Ireland)

Hope you can follow my journey and contribute with your comments and own experiences.
Cheers
Scott